Friday, October 3, 2008

Surgery--Behind the Scenes

When I got to the hospital today, my nursing instructor asked me if I was ready to go to the O.R. (operating room). He made arrangements for me to observe a total hip replacement surgery.

As we wound our way through the hallways I wondered how I would ever find my way back. I never realized how big and confusing the hospitals are, especially when you go behind the scenes. My instructor had another nurse take me to the locker room to change into surgical scrubs. Then, I was brought to the pre-op area, to meet the patient that would be undergoing surgery. I watched how the nurses work and I pondered when I would ever be as confident as they are. Next I had to put on the poofy hair cap and the cloth booties that go over your shoes. Then off we went to the O.R.

Before entering the room I had to put on a mask with a face shield. It is really hot to breathe in a mask; kind of like trying to breathe under a blanket. One of the first things I noticed was the large quantity of tools that are used in just one surgery. There were trays and trays of torturous looking instruments. After the patient was put under, the anesthesiologist talked to me about the drugs used in surgery. Then I watched the nurse place the urinary catheter. My instructor told me that I would be able to do it, but I was talking to the anesthesiologist, so I missed the chance to ask. Besides, the nurse was "on a mission" and I think she preferred to do it herself.

It is really fascinating to watch the OR staff working. They are like a "well-oiled machine". It was really rather intimidating for me. I feel like I will never be as knowledgeable as they are. I was able to assist with positioning the patient and then I was told where I could stand to watch the surgery. It was difficult to see, but still very interesting. The surgeon even took the time to meet me and tell me what he was going to be doing.

Without getting too graphic, I will just say that they showed me the difference between arthritic bone and what the joint should look like. They also showed me on the x-rays. There are a lot of sights, sounds, and yes even smells during surgery. (I think I can still smell it.)

When it was over, the surgeon put up the x-rays for the next surgery and asked if I was going to "stick around for the next one." I said that I could if I was able. He said I could! The next surgery was a total knee replacement. He told me that I would be able to see a lot more.



It was really fascinating to watch. When all was said and done, I went to the post-anesthesia intensive care unit with the patient. That was quite the experience too! The patient kept trying to get out of the bed. The nurses told me that that is not that common. Most people don't do that. I was able to do a little bit more hands on stuff. For example, I had to keep putting the oxygen back on the patient, because he kept pulling it off.

What a cool experience! Then I had to find my way back to the locker room to change back into my clothes and then way back to the floor where my back-pack and coat were. Those hospitals are confusing!

I was really fortunate to have my surgical experience during my first week of clinical. Next week I will be caring for my own patient. I will be giving medications, removing a catheter, and working with IV's. Wish me luck. Now off to bed--it was a long day!



5 comments:

Osh said...

how exciting!

Jenny said...

I always wanted to be a nurse, but I'm not very good around blood. Kudos to you!! And everyother nurse, doctor, and EMT

Blaznfire911 said...

Wow thats pretty cool!!! When I was first stating with animal surgery...I must admit..the smell got to me a bit, and I always felt that I would never be able to do the things the other techs could do. Now it is like 2nd nature to me. You'll do great!!!! Best of luck with all your upcoming endevours girlie!!!

Keep us posted!

-Sir Jack said...

Wow MSW! Interesting blog and congratulations on your first observation. You're a brave one...I honestly don't think I could stomach that!! I'm glad that some people can.

Keep up the good work, love!

shakenbsis said...

Absolutely fascnating MSW! Thanks for sharing that. You will be a fantastic nurse!