Saturday, June 20, 2009

The World's Largest Aquarium

We were fortunate enough to be able to visit the Georgia Aquarium, which is the World's Largest. If you are ever in the Atlanta area, I highly recommend it. The pictures that I post do not do it justice--you have to see it and experience it yourself to really get the full effect.


Here is a picture of a lot of Alioto's with a lot of fish:


Isn't this gorgeous:
One thing that is really cool is the tank that has all of the sharks in it. There were many different kinds of sharks. They had a tunnel for people to walk through, so the sharks could be right over your head. They had whale-sharks that were enormous:
I like this one, but I couldn't fit him completely in the picture:
There were several different touch-pools. We touched horseshoe crabs, starfish, stingrays, a small shark, and sea anenomes:
They even had a giant squid that was preserved. If I remember correctly, they live in the deepest parts of the ocean. I don't think it can live anywhere else.

They had three beluga whales. As the lady at the aquarium said, "As you can see, it is that time of year." (If you know what I mean. They were really going at it!)

Several months ago, on the news, I saw a segment about this guy:

He is the LARGEST Manta Ray in captivity. He came from Africa, where he outgrew his former home aquarium. You could probably google it, if you wanted to learn more about it. I thought it was pretty cool. It is soooooo big. It was hard to get a good picture of it. It moved so gracefully, that it seemed like it could be flying.
If I hadn't been with a large group of people, I could have spent hours and hours watching all of these ocean creatures. There is something so mesmerizing about them. I hope to return to the Georgia Aquarium again some day, and maybe I will go by myself so I can spend as much time as I want.
Ciao for now!

2 comments:

Robbi said...

Awesome picture's!!

I heard it was a great place...
Glad you had fun while you were there.

-Sir Jack said...

I love the aquarium!!! Love the Manta Ray!! Thanks for taking me to the aquarium today...I needed a break from all this heat!! ~Cheers, love!