Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pageant Life




On Saturday night, I went to the Wisconsin National American Miss Preteen pageant. 80-some girls, ages 10-12 competed. Before you start to think all of the stereotypical thoughts about pageants, let me give you my opinion. *steps on soap-box or maybe a podium with a mic*

All pageants are NOT created equal. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. I've seen natural vs. glitz. I've been to all levels from local, to state, to National, to World.

I strongly believe in Scholarship pageants. I dislike beauty-only pageants. I really hate glitz pageants. I also hate the typical "stage parents". O.k. hate is a strong word, but you know what I mean.

So what is the difference, you ask? A scholarship pageant is an opportunity for any/all girls from all walks of life, to build self-esteem, life-time skills, make friends, and if they are lucky, win a scholarship. You all know what a beauty pageant looks like--Miss USA/Universe. You probably know what a glitz pageant is (Jon Bonet Ramsey). A good, natural, scholarship pageant is one that believes in inner and outer beauty.

For example, when I was in the Miss America program (3rd runner up at Miss Oshkosh) I had to practice interviewing for a panel of judges. They could ask you ANYTHING. We were strongly encouraged to read the newspaper and get knowledgeable about current events. We had to be prepared to have an opinion on them. We had to have a "platform". For example, equal rights, feed the homeless, etc. We had to turn in our college transcripts, because our grades were included in the judging. Also, community service, activities, etc. The grades and the interview were worth the most points. Swimwear was done to show that you take care of your body--physical fitness, and was the smallest percentage of the points. Oh--and talent was worth a lot of points, too. It cost nothing to enter. The entire pageant was sponsored by local businesses. They taught contestants everything they needed to know and even lent out gowns and interview outfits. Anyone can be Miss America. (All of those other pageants charge an arm and a leg to enter, then you have to pay for all your clothes, etc. etc.) I won $350 for college.

I started to compete in pageants when I was 17. When I was 18, I became the Wisconsin Young Miss of America, and competed at Nationals. I competed at Nationals again when I was 21. The experience was incredible. I met people from all over the country. I met a movie producer, modeling agents, movie stars (real ones), I was on t.v. etc. and won first runner-up in talent at nationals.

As a "visiting queen" I emceed pageants, entertained, judged, directed and produced.

Pageants made me a more outgoing and confident person. I became very good at doing interviews (both sides). They changed my life.

After I was married, I was Mrs. Madison, and Mrs. Dane County and competed twice in the Mrs. Wisconsin pageant. I was 3rd runner up to Mrs. Wisconsin.

I have since judged state and national pageants and coached a few other people. My children won national and World titles when they were little. When they lost interest, I was cool with it.

I have also seen the "other side". The side that gives pageants a bad name. I hope anyone that has read this has learned something new, because pageants changed my life.

Ciao for now!
Doesn't this look FUN?



4 comments:

Osh said...

you are so invited to tiara fun night!

Movie Star Wife said...

Cool--name the time and the place
:-o

shakenbsis said...

Dawn! Thanks somuch for sharing this part of your 'story' with us. Amazing!!!

shakenbsis said...

Dawn!
It was so fun getting to hang with you last night. I am still uploading that video. (since sometime after noon!) Next time I'll try You Tube or somehting!

So glad to hear you are still Depp affected! ;)