If you have ever been to Door County, Wisconsin, and participated in a fish boil, you know what I mean. The first time I went to Door County, I was NOT a fish eater (I have since had a change in taste). However, I thought I better give it a chance and I actually liked it. The fish is cooked with potatoes, onions, and carrots, in big black kettles over a fire:
My kids were not really thrilled with eating it, but they LOVED watching the men cook it. Here is one of them examing the raw fish. "Ewwww.":
The most exciting part of the fish boil is when they yell "Boil Over" and throw kerosene (I think) on the fire and it just goes "kaboom":
Whoooo baby! Just look at that cloud! They warned us to stand back and they weren't kidding. It gets REALLY hot. My face was so hot I thought I'd have red skin afterwards:
Then the water boils over, which pushes all of the fish oil/fat off the top of the water:
Then we all sit down and wait to be served. The fish was incredibly tender and moist and was served with lots of butter (or margarine if you prefer). The only downside, I think, is that you have to pick the bones out of the fish. Sometimes you miss them, so you really have to be careful.
Here is my favorite picture:
This dog was hanging out while it's people ate the fish boil. It was a very well behaved dog. Plus, it was so COOL! Would you believe, that when the person tried to remove the sunglasses the dog started whining? Then they put them back on the dog and it calmed down.
Tips for people who haven't been to a Door County fish boil:
1. Get reservations ahead of time, especially if you want to go on a specific night.
2. Try to forget how much it costs (you are on vacation).
3. Ask a friend or someone who lives in Door County where to go for a good fish boil. A few years ago we went to one that was just awful.
And that is all from this food critic. :-)
Ciao for now!
3 comments:
Sounds like you had fun and got to see a very interesting process. I'm not a fish eater unless it's Gordon's from the freezer section of the grocery lol Finding bones in it would probably do me in but I've been known to try new things.
Being a Hoosier we have a lot of Rib Festivals around here.
Karen
Oops, I forgot to mention the 'cool' dog. What a character!! :)
That is where we always go for fish boils. good food!!!!
DJ is not a fish eater until she tried it there and now we always go to a fish boil! YUMMY!!!
Post a Comment