9/11 was one of those days that people don't forget. Anyone who was old enough to remember knows exactly where they were and what was going on that day. It's like the Kennedy assassination or the space shuttle disasters. I remember when I found out President Reagan was shot and when I heard that Princess Diana had died. Mostly, I remember 9/11 because it was scary and we didn't know what was happening. Here is my story.It started as one of those typical work days. I got ready for work and my 3 year old watched PBS while she waited. On that day she decided that she wanted to go to day care early. Since I didn't have to leave for work until later, I figured I could drop her off and continue getting ready.
When I got home I turned on one of the morning news shows. It was breaking news. I remember thinking how horrible it was, but then it only got worse. A plane hit the second tower. That is when someone on the news voiced that "this is no longer an accident, we may be under attack". Well, as someone growing up in the 70's and 80's, this was realllllllly scary. We always felt so safe. Things always happen "somewhere else".
I tried to get a hold of my husband at work. I got voice mail. I tried to call my Mom, I got her answering machine. As I was leaving a message, the 3rd plane had hit the Pentagon. My mom saved my message so that I could hear it. You could tell how frightened I was. I had a 3 year old and I was newly pregnant and I just wanted to be with someone.
But I had to go to work.
When I got to work we had to pretend it was a normal day. We set up a few fuzzy t.v.'s so we could keep abreast of what was going on. I don't think much was accomplished that day. Who could concentrate?
The other thing I remember about that September was how quiet the skies were. No air traffic whatsoever. When the restriction was lifted, I would panic a little bit when I heard an airplane. One time some military jets flew over--yikes. I said, "I think something is going on." My 3 year old picked up on that and kept copying what I said ever time a plane flew over. We really tried to shelter her from all of it, but even that was hard, because it was on every channel. I know she sensed something. I had to get over that airplane panic very quickly.
So that is my 9/11 story. I would like to hear yours. Will you share it?
2 comments:
I am familiar with that sense of fear that you felt. I was not alone, but I was MILES away from my family, especially my daughter. The onset of this, we had NO idea what else was to come from the terrorists. I was just a bundle nerves until I finally got home and could hold my daughter in my arms again....
Thanks for sharing your story.....
Thanks for sharing your story MSW! It truly was a terrible day!
I left a comment on Minxie's blog with my story. It was a day I will never forget!
I copied it onto your comments:
I was at work when I heard the news. We had the radio on in the kennel area, and I was hosing out the kennel runs for the morning arrivals.
One of the kennel techs came running up to me, and said that a plane had hit the tower 1. I thought that it was prob just a bad accident, but he insisted that no one would EVER fly a plane into the world trade center....even if it was an accident. He kept insisting and insisting that it was a terrorist attack.
I feel kinda bad bc I told him to basically go away, and that he was talking nonsense, but then a few minutes later he came running back in to the kennel, and told me another plane had crashed.
I thought that he was playing a joke on me, and that he was just trying to get a rise out of me. Again, NOW I feel bad. I turned up the radio, and sure enough...two planes....then a 3rd..and a 4th.
I couldn't believe it, and I started crying. I don't know anyone who was in the towers, but I did have a friend who was visiting in NYC, and I was hoping that she was okay.
I remember coming home, and turning on the news and watching the footage of the towers collapsing, and people trying to jump out of the windows. It was very hard for me to watch.
My neighbors all got together, and started handing out flags to put up on your porch, or in the yard. Everyone was supposed to put candles in their windows if you had some. Of course, I did....i am never without candles.
I remember sitting outside on the porch listening to the tv, and praying that all those people who would be affected by this tragedy would find peace in the weeks to come.
I never thought that this would ever happen. Like you have all said....it was surreal.
I don't know why I did this.....I started an album of all the things that people around WI and the world put up in their yards, and on their cars in regards to 9/11. I thikn that I just wanted to save all the patriotic things that brought us together as a country.
It truly was a terrible thing to happen, and I hope that it never happens again. I too will still fly, but I have to admit...I get a little bit more nervous everytime I step onto a plane. it doesn't last long though.....but I will never forget what happened that day.
Also - I want to add that it is truly important that we remember the lives of those we lost, and the ones that managed to survive this horrible ordeal. I have my flag flying strong today!!
Thanks again for writing this blog! I am honored to have you as my friend!
Post a Comment