Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Good morning starshine, the earth says hello!"

"Good morning starshine, the earth says hello!"

Every blog starts somewhere, and mine starts at the beginning. You can't get much earlier than Dawn. The quote above comes from my favorite actor, Johnny Depp, in the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. One of my kids absolutely loves that movie! I would have to say it isn't my favorite JD movie. So far, my favorite one is Finding Neverland. However, I think that one will be surpassed next July when the movie Public Enemies comes out. Why, do you ask? Well, the excitement of filming Public Enemies in Wisconsin is what got me started on blogging.

Let's start from the beginning. My husband went to the open call to be an extra in the movie, Public Enemies, starring Johnny Depp. He was selected, which is cool, but we never expected his level of involvement in the film. First, he went to wardrobe and had his haircut by "Manny". Manny cuts the hair of Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and Angelina Joli (among many others I'm sure). That was pretty cool, too.

On the very first day of filming, my husband got up at the crack of dawn and drove to Columbus. For the first scene they filmed, he was a detective and road around in the back of a police car, holding a gun. He road in that police car all day. All day long they drove past Johnny Depp who was driving his own car. Then, "reset" back up, and do it again. When he got home that night, the first thing I asked was, did you see JD? He did. Wow! Not only that, but they waved to each other several times when they reset. How exciting!

On day two of filming, it got even better! My hubby was a "man on the street" and witnessed the "heist"/aka bank robbery that they filmed in Columbus. He had to react to the robbery, and then run and duck when Dillinger came down the street shooting his gun. If you see the movie, he is the one in the blue hat. I'm pretty sure they won't be cutting that one out. It seems like a pretty important part of the scene. Even more exciting, is that JD walked by at one point, and said, "Hi, how's it going?" Oh my God--he talked to him! You see, one of the rules of being an extra is that you can't approach the actors. But JD talked to HIM. I couldn't believe the awesome experiences that my husband was having.

This is where blogging comes in. Since I am in nursing school, I was missing out on all of the fun. So I got on the internet and found the Public Enemies Columbus Blog. Thanks to the blog author, Rod, I was able to get tidbits of information on what was going on in Columbus. Rod is an awesome writer, and I got hooked! So instead of "pulling teeth" from my husband to get information I was able to read the blog and know what was happening.

I'll save more stories for future days. All in all, my husband was involved in many days and nights of filming for Public Enemies. He worked in Columbus, Darlington, and at Mirror Lake. After the first week he became a stand-in (since he was quite visible in other scenes). The stories get even more interesting, since he was right in the middle of everything going on. This really has been a dream come true for him. So I tease him and call him "Movie Star". That is how I got the blog name "Movie Star Wife".

Ciao for now!
Dawn

9 comments:

Movie Star Wife said...

Welcome to my blog. If you look at the picture, my hubby, the "movie star" is the one in the blue hat. Isn't he hot? Well, I guess you can't tell in those clothes. :-)

Lotus said...

I refuse to say that your husband is hot! That is unlady-like and it might make you mad. Loved the first blog day. Thanks for the background and it's obvious your husband had some awesome experiences.

~Minxie~ said...

Dawn... nice blog.... looking forward to hearing more stories from your husband's experience!!

Is he doing any more filming with them?

Karen said...

Hi Dawn! (waves) Welcome to the world of blogging. Wonder how many blogs can be traced back to Rod's...(he he he)Will check back for more stories :)

Anonymous said...

Great start to your blog! I'm anxious to hear more. : )

Rod said...

Good job - I bet he was NEVER hot on that day - more cold!!

Rod

MAN I can't get that word thing right!!! AND it keeps getting HARDER!!

Michelle said...

Great blog! Good to see you in your own "place". I am a pediatric nurse (very part time now) and worked for a time with oncology patients, it's tough work but very rewarding. Best of luck to you!

Movie Star Wife said...

To all of the above posters, "you get brownie points" for being the first to check out my blog! Thanks!

I will definitely be sharing some more stories--stay tuned.

I'm guessing I will usually update this thing at night, since I work most days (without my 'puter).

Lotus--you get extra points for being the first! Also for being soooo ladylike!

Minxie--he was filming all the way to the end in Wisconsin. I guess we will see if they come back.

Sandsitive--(Dawn waves back). I agree that Rod has certainly started a trend.

Tami--hi! Thanks for reading.

Grinder--your right, he had to wear long thermal underwear. Do you know how hard it is to find them in the stores in March??? Yikes--they were already selling summer stuff.

Michelle--I'm so excited about nursing! For the first time in my life I am completely driven and know with absolute certainty that this is what I want to do! Thanks for the well wishes.

I'll blog update later.
Ciao

shakenbsis said...

HI MSW!

My puter is fixed, now I'm trying to catch up =) Your blog is great, but I guess I missed the blue hat.

Minxie - I'm seeing yoru new pic for the first time - AWESOME!